Software and process documentation
- ContentLinkGettingStarted.pdf is a portion of a Getting Started Guide for a mapping web application developed by Tele Atlas (now owned by TomTom). I wrote all the content for this Guide, using company guidelines for the document design.
- FlareHelptoPDF.pdf is a sample of some internal documentation I developed to teach other company employees how to convert an online help system (written in XML) to a print manual in PDF. This was part of a single-sourcing effort so that the client could have all documentation in one system and then export sections as needed to other formats (including Word, PDF, and compiled Windows Help). I wrote all of the content in this document.
- GettingStartedwithiThinkandSTELLA.pdf is a getting started guide for a software system that allowed users to create and run systems thinking models. This was a highly complex software system with many advanced options. The getting started guide is the first stop in the documentation, supplying the basics of how to navigate in and use the software. It is one of the outputs generated by the "Help to PDF" process described above. I wrote all the content for this document and for the source/help system from which it was generated.
- Literary North, including designing and writing a monthly newsletter, author interviews, event roundups; compiling an online event calendar; co-sponsoring and promoting area literary events; and hosting and promoting our own events. I designed the Literary North website with Squarespace, maintain it along with my Literary North partner, and contribute photographs and simple graphic designs to the site and Literary North's promotional materials. As part of Literary North's marketing efforts, I also write, design, and send newsletters to subscribers via MailChimp and TinyLetter, and co-maintain our Twitter and Instagram social media feeds.
- ExploreRiversAndStreams.pdf is the first chapter of a science book I wrote for young readers (forthcoming from Nomad Press, November 2018). I researched and wrote all the text for this book, including 25 projects and activities.
- Saponification.pdf is an article I wrote for Vermont Goat Milk Soap to help explain to their customers how soap is made and why lye is safe to use in the soap-making process. This article is part of a set of sixteen articles that will appear on the company's website in 2018.
- GoatMilkBenefits.pdf is an article I wrote for Vermont Goat Milk Soap to explain the benefits of using goat milk when making hand-crafted soaps. This article is part of a set of sixteen articles that will appear on the company's website in 2018.
- AMountainisaValleyisaMountain.pdf is an essay I wrote for the now-defunct online journal Slow Mountain Company. On the site, this essay was accompanied by photos I took.
- TheOliveTable.pdf is an article I wrote for Upper Valley Life Magazine about a Woodstock-based business that imports premium extra virgin olive oil and raw honey from Greece. I interviewed the owner of the company and then wrote the article from my interview notes.
- WhatDothLife.pdf is an article I wrote for Upper Valley Life Magazine about an Upper Valley group that supports and promotes local bands. I interviewed the co-owners of the organization and then wrote the article from my interview notes.
- TheodoreRooseveltLiteraryLifeIndex.pdf is the index for Theodore Roosevelt: A Literary Life, by Thomas Bailey and Katherine Joslin (ForeEdge, 2018). I wrote the index with some input from the authors as to what topics to include. Since the book covers TR's writing life, including his many publications, his reading habits, and the authors he read and befriended, the index includes entries for every book, journal essay, article, and address he published, as well as all authors mentioned in the text.